9 Secrets for Saving Thousands of $$ when Buying
- Retain the services of a qualified Realtor you can trust – save time and money with sound advice.
- Ensure you get the best mortgage rates available by using a Mortgage Broker. ( 0.5% rate advantage can save you over $15,000 on a 5-Year term $1,000,000 mortgage.)
- Have your Lender agree to waive fees for mortgage application and appraisal (typically about $500) if possible.
- Save thousands by choosing weekly mortgage payments instead of monthly.
- Ask the Seller to provide a copy of the survey certificate if possible, and save about $280.
- Ensure your mortgage has pre-payment and double-up privileges, allowing flexibility.
- Arrange a home inspection by a qualified Home Inspector to ensure no costly surprises later, and based on the inspector’s report, renegotiate price with the Seller before reaching a final deal.
- Ensure Closing and Possession dates are close together, so you are not paying for a home you can’t live in (and avoid hotel costs).
- Ensure oil tanks have been properly decommissioned at the Seller’s expense (save $1,500 to $20,000 depending on removal costs, soil contamination, etc.) (BC Fire Code regulations).